CRISIS WALK-IN HOURS
The Counseling Center’s clinical staff members are aware that emergencies requiring immediate attention can exist for students seeking our services. Because of the demand on our services, however, we are not able to see most students the same day they contact us. This information is being provided to help you decide whether our same-day crisis services are right for you. If in doubt, please call our office at 936-294-1720 to consult with a counselor.
Our same-day crisis services are designed to assist students who are confronting life-threatening circumstances, current or recent traumatic crises, and serious mental illness. Examples of such issues include:
- suicidal thoughts
- the need to be hospitalized
- thoughts about killing another person
- recent assault or abuse
- concern about your own safety
- knowledge of another person being abused or assaulted
- hallucinations (e.g. hearing voices or sounds that others are unable to hear)
- recent death of a loved one
- witnessing or experiencing a traumatic event
A counselor is available to meet with students in crisis when not being seen immediately could lead to serious consequences or seriously aggravate their existing condition.
If you believe your situation is a crisis that cannot wait for a regularly scheduled appointment, please contact our office at 936-294-1720. A counselor will meet with you today to do a brief assessment and make recommendations as to how to proceed.